- Title: 미남이시네요 / Minami Shineyo
- Title (English): You’re Beautiful / You’re Handsome
- Genre: Romantic Comedy
- Episodes: 16
- Release: 2009
- Drama Soundtrack / OST Download Here
- Hwang Tae Kyung – Jang Geun Suk (Beethoven Virus, Baby and Me)
- Go Mi Nam (Boy) / Go Mi Nyu (Gal) – Park Shin Hye (Tree of Heaven, Goong S)
- Jeremy – Lee Hong Ki (debut as supporting role in You’re beautiful)
- Kang Shin Woo – Jung Yong Hwa (debut in You’re beautiful)
- Yoo He Yi – UEE (debut in You’re beautiful)
Go Mi Nyu is a sister-in-training. When her identical twin brother Go Mi Nam was having surgery to fix his previous plastic surgery effort in US, she reluctantly posed as Mi Nam. Mi Nyu joins the group A.N.JELL posing as her brother and meets the members: Hwang Tae Kyung, Kang Shin Woo, and Jeremy.
Initially disliked by Hwang Tae Kyung, the group’s leader and composer, Mi Nyu later falls in love with him and finds herself entangled in a love triangle between him and Shin Woo, while Jeremy harbors a one-sided love for her. Additionally, Mi Nyu finds herself being rivaled against Yoo He Yi, an actress who also has feelings for Tae Kyung. – Wikipedia
Why I’m loving it……..
1) The plot is not draggy at all like most K-drama. Every scene is awesome. I did not fast-forward or skip any scenes but I replayed them instead.
When we say Hana Kimi, I thought of Horikita Maki,
When we say Coffee Prince, I thought of Yoon Eun Hye
When we say You’re Beautiful,
I thought of Jang Geun Suk and not Park Shin Hye.
– Sunsets of mysugoi
2) Yep! I’m loving YAB because of Jang Geun Suk. I was not a fan. In fact, I do not why I disliked him in Beethoven Virus. However, that change and now I love and admire everything about him. I love his portrayal of Hwang Tae Kyung. His pout, his smirk, his laughter, his voice, his facial expression, his body expression, his hair-style are simply a joy to watch. His sadness, his crying scenes and his scene with his mom are all simply heartfelt. JGS is excellent. He is perfect as Hwang Tae Kyung and play him with such panache and charisma. He made his character stood out, unique and memorable in his own way. Hwang Tae Kyung may have Go Mi Nam’s 100 points but Jang Geun Suk, you have my 100 points..😛 hehe…
3) Another reason to love YAB is its fun ensemble cast and characters. The minor supporting roles like the ANJELL manager, stylist, company director, the aunt, the fans, including the dog Jolie are not boring and a joy to watch.
- Not forgetting Park Shin Hye, she is awesome as the innocent, adorable female Go Mi Nam. Her piggy-nose is simply cute. She also surprised me that she can sing!! She sang so well
- I’m also amazed with UEE for her bravery to take up a childish, pretentious bitchy role. After all she’s singer in a gal-band (After School) , she may attract hate fans, ya know. Bravo to her bravery and though her acting may not be oscar-winning, it’s pretty decent for a newcomer, and did I mention… she has a long, slim and sexy legs to die for?!!
- The same goes for Jung Yong Hwa, there may be some awkwardness in his acting, it is actually pretty decent and forgivable considering it’s his first time as an actor. Plus, he is gorgeous, better looking than JGS if I may say so.
- Lee Hong Ki‘s Jeremy reminded me of Ikuta Toma’s Nakatsu in Hana Kim at first…. He is soooo good as a dorky adorable Jeremy but it was not until later when his character found out about Go Mi Nam with Tae Kyung, Hong Ki’s portrayal as Jeremy totally blew me away. Hong Ki is better than good. He is excellent for a newcomer.
4) Last but not least, I love YAB because of its OST is the best OST of all K-drama.. . I love listening to each and every soundtrack in it. Sugoi OST for me personally..
Why YAB is not Sugoi……..
The ending was a tad duller than the rest of the episodes.
- The concert scene with JGS walking and hugging PSH is just unrealistic. If that happen in reality, all the fan girls would go wild and crazy. I don’t think JGS would be walking so comfortably and hug PSH. Plus, the hug is such a bore. No kiss?😛 Sigh…
- I was excited to see the REAL Male Go Mi Nam appearance towards the end but only met with disappointments and disappointments in that character.. PSH is awesome being a female Go Mi Nam but somehow lacking as a charismatic male Go Mi Nam. I can’t remember much about the male Go Mi Nam. He is just there like an EXTRA with no impact whatsoever. There is no brother-sister thing interaction too.
However I do missed YAB a lot when it ended… I hope there’s YAB 2 like Japanese HYD..
A reused formula but it is well written and I’m totally hooked. IRIS may have beaten You’re Beautiful in terms of viewership ratings in Korea but I believe YAB will beat IRS in the long run. IRIS will just be another great (almost forgotten) drama, whereas YAB will be a never-ending obsession, a fandom craze for “eternity” years like Hana Yori Dango, Hana Kimi or It Started With A Kiss.
Anyways, thank goodness for FT Island Hong Ki, I finally decided to watch it otherwise I would have missed the most addictive and awesome K-Drama. Summore, I find YAB many ways better than Korean version BOF or any version of Hana Kimi. ALMOST as good as Japanese version Hana Yori Dango (BOF) and the latter remain as my most favourite – no matter what.
In short, an enjoyable ride even though some lil bumps along the way. What’s more, especially when it’s a ride with Jang Geun Suk….😉