No wonder the homosexual King played by Joo Jin-Moo is obsessive in love with him to the point that the King actually rejected another man, Seung Gi who offered himself.
- Title: 쌍화점 (Ssang Hwa Jeom)
- Title (English): Frozen Flower
- Genre: Drama, History, Romance (Gay, Bisexual, Heterosexual)
- Release : December 2008
- Soundtrack : Ssang Hwa Jeom download at this page
- Jo In Sung (Memories in Bali) as Chief Commander of Kunryongwe, Hong Lim
- Joo Jin Moo (200 Pounds Beauty) as King of Goryeo
- Song Ji Hyo (Goong) as Queen
The King of Goryeo is in love with his chief commander of Kunryongwe, Hong Lim and the Queen keeps her eyes on the relationship between Hong Lim and the King with a reluctant view. Meanwhile, the bilateral relation between Goryeo and the Yuan gets worse as Yuan Kingdom demands to replace the cousin as the new King of Goryeo as the present one do not have a successor. After seriously pondering the issue, the king asks his lover Hong Lim to sleep with the Queen, with unexpected consequences.
Nice romance historical drama but too many graphic sex scenes. Otherwise, I believe it would have been taken more seriously.
Anyways, Jo In Sung is just perfect as a beautiful, loyal, submissive Hong Lim. No wonder the homosexual King played by Joo Jin-Moo is obsessive in love with him to the point that the King actually rejected another man, Seung Gi who offered himself.
I believe that Hong Lim is not gay. He could be a bisexual or confused heterosexual. One thing for sure is that he is very loyal and a submissive person as he chose not to run away with the Queen. He is also kind and soft-hearted especially to the ones that he cared. For example, requesting the king to forgive his subordinate and also letting the Queen’s brother go.
As for the sex scenes, they were beautifully done. The sex scenes showed the lusty love feelings of Hong Lim towards the Queen and also the guilty confused feelings when he had for the King. He has uncontrollable “love” and passion with a woman rather than with a man. Although the sex scenes were “kinda” necessary, they were way too long and graphic. They should be kept short, just enough to let the viewers know there is lust and there is love.
No need to show us the karmasutra positions. They actually overshadow the other important scenes and all the viewers could think of was the sex scenes only. That would be a waste. I also believe there should be a scene where the King found out that the Queen has lied to him about the pendant and that pendant was given by his lover Hong Lim. Otherwise, how the heck the King knew and get that pendant hanging outside with the headless maid to trick Hong Lim back to the palace.
Other notable scenes that I like were:-
- Young Hong Lim answering the King that one who is willing to die for the King. From that moment on, the young King starts to favour him.
- The King bought a better horse for Hong Lim whereas Hong Lim bought a pendant for the Queen. I wonder Hong Lim ever bought anything for the King and whether his attentiveness to the King were only because of out of respect, loyalty and duty? I believe Hong Lim’s actions towards the Queen was definitiely not out of duty.
- Hong Lim telling the King that he love the Queen and the King was so shocked that he asked Hong Lim several times.
- The King’s visit to the castrated Hong Lim in prison
- Hong Lim realizing his lost of manhood and was deeply saddened by his imperfection not able to be the man for the Queen
- Hong Lim outside the palace looking at his headless comrades and the pendant together with a headless woman
- The sword fight between Hong Lim and the King
- If you could look past the gay/bisexual and the sex scenes, Frozen Flower is actually quite a good romance historical drama
- Stellar casting. They totally blend into their characters especially Jo In Sung and Joo Jin Moo. I couldn’t think of any other person who can fit in their roles.
- Good looking casting. Jo In Sung, Joo Jin Moo and Song Ji Hyo is perfect eye-candies for this romantic movie. Sweet!
- Sex scenes way too long and graphic.
- Disconnected story line due to some scenes being cut to make way for sex scenes. Because of that, ratings are not 5/5….